fbpx
Plants That Are Toxic For Dogs

What Lilies are Toxic To Dogs?

For the longest time, I had no idea there were so many toxic plants that could be life-threatening to my dogs. This is something I think most dog owners are not aware of. As a dog mom who loves to explore with her three dogs on the trails, it’s crucial to know which plants are poisonous/toxic to my dogs since we are in so many different places all the time. In today’s blog, I’m going to share which lilies are poisonous/toxic to dogs, what symptoms to look out for if your dog encounters them, and being prepared to take appropriate steps.

Are Lilies Toxic For Your Dog?

To address the question of whether lilies are poisonous to dogs, the answer is yes, many different lilies are toxic. This applies to all parts of the plants, including flowers & pollen. Even ingesting a small amount of a lily can lead to severe health issues and potentially be fatal for dogs. This becomes especially relevant during outdoor adventures, as our dogs may have more chances to encounter these flowers.

Plants that are toxic to dogs.

Understanding which lilies are toxic to them is crucial, as symptoms can range from mild irritation to severe health issues, and in some cases could be fatal. By raising awareness about these dangers, I hope to empower others to protect their fur babies and to minimize risks during your outdoor adventures.

Easter Lilies

Good news! According to the ASPCA, Easter lilies are not considered poisonous to dogs. However, it’s important to note that if ingested in large quantities, these flowers can still cause digestive discomfort for our dogs. Since dogs’ digestive systems aren’t accustomed to processing large amounts of plant material, it’s possible for them to experience an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Easter Lily - Plants that are toxic to dogs.

Peace Lilies

As an avid hiker who explores the outdoors with my dogs, it’s important to know that peace lilies, with their large green waxy leaves and unique flowers, can be toxic. These plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause oral pain, drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea if chewed. While severe issues are rare, it’s crucial to prevent your dogs from accessing peace lilies.

Peace Lily

Asiatic Lilies

Like Easter lilies, these beautiful flowers can be harmful to dogs. Every part of Asiatic lilies contains compounds that can result in severe health issues, including kidney failure and even death, if ingested.These symptoms can include oral pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and in severe cases, kidney failure. It’s crucial to be aware of these symptoms and seek immediate veterinary care if you suspect your dog has ingested any part of an Asiatic lily.

Lily of The Valley

According to Rover, Lilies of the valley contain cardiac glycosides, a toxin that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, heart arrhythmias, and seizures in dogs. In severe cases, it can even result in death. It’s essential to be aware of the risks associated with lilies of the valley to protect our doggos.

Here Are The Steps To Take If Your Suspect Your Dog Has Ingested A Lily:

  • Act quickly but remain calm: It’s important to respond promptly while keeping a calm demeanor to minimize stress for your dog.
  • Remove any remaining plant material: Check your dog’s mouth carefully and remove any lingering pieces of the lily, ensuring not to cause any harm in the process.
  • Seek immediate veterinary assistance: Contact your veterinarian or the nearest emergency animal clinic right away. Time is critical when dealing with lily poisoning, so don’t wait for symptoms to appear.
  • Provide essential details: Share as much information as possible about the situation with the veterinarian. Mention the type of lily, the parts of the plant ingested, and an approximate quantity consumed. These details will assist the veterinarian in determining the most appropriate course of action.
  • Follow professional guidance: Listen to the advice and instructions provided by your veterinarian. They may advise bringing your dog to the clinic for immediate treatment.
  • Monitor for symptoms: Keep a close eye on your dog for any signs of distress or discomfort, such as excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, or lethargy.
  • Take preventive measures: Once the immediate concern is addressed, take proactive steps to prevent similar incidents in the future. Assess the plants in your home and yard, removing any potentially hazardous ones to ensure the safety of your furry friend and keep an eye out for the flowers along your hikes.

By following these steps, you can take action and provide the necessary care for your dog if you suspect lily ingestion.

Related Posts

Scroll to Top